Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day 127 - Celebrations of Life


Today I went to a Celebration of Life for one of my best friends. Betty and I met in October of 2010 when she came to my nursing facility. I had only been there about a month and a half. We became fast friends. She couldn't always remember my name, but we had our own inside jokes. I helped her out with things she couldn't do, and she could make me smile even during the difficult days. She was hilariously stubborn and brought great joy to my life each day. Even though her vision wasn't very good, she knew what she saw... or thought she saw! One day when she was talking about how people looked, I asked her what I look like. "Eternal smile," was her response. That encouraged me that even if she can't make everything out, she sees my smile and knows that I love her through that. 

I feel like God put Betty and I together for this year and a half. I'm so grateful for that. She's taught me how to love the "least of these," those who really can't give you much back. All Betty could give me was her smile, her laughter, and her hugs. And that was more than enough for me.


This is a picture of us last September during our annual "Dinner at the Ritz." It's a picture I'll always treasure.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got to know her & had the chance attend the ceremony today. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete