Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 38 - Hope

"...so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope..."

  

Although most of the time I love my job, it isn't always easy. Working with the elderly in a healthcare setting involves dealing with death. You can't ignore it. You can't deny it. You can't even just push it away. You start to make friendships with these people. You live to make them smile. You listen to their stories. You laugh with them. You cry with them. And then they die. Over the past year and a half, it's gotten easier to deal with death.

But this past week it's been rough. Two residents have passed away that meant a lot to me. They both encouraged me and brought me such great joy. And it brings tears to my eyes as I write this to know that I won't see them again on this earth. 

But that's where today's post comes in. Hope. I love this passage found in 1 Thessalonians 4.13-18. I have great hope! I will see both of these residents again as I know they loved Jesus passionately. I can rejoice and be comforted with this wonderful hope! For that, I am forever grateful. 

And I have to say that although it's my job to love on my residents, I am so grateful for the ways they love on me. God uses them in my life all the time to remind me of His truths and encourage me in His love.


No comments:

Post a Comment