Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day 42 - Cells


As much as I don't really love taking this biology class I'm in, there are some  pretty awesome things. Today as I was reading, two facts just put me in awe once again of God's amazing creation.  The chapter was on cells, and it opened up discussing the importance of microscopes in the study of cells. The book made the statement that the most powerful electron microscopes can distinguish objects small as 0.2 nanometers. The period at the end of the sentence (as the one zoomed in on in the picture above) is one million times bigger than an object 0.2 nanometers in diameter. What?!?

A few pages later...


The plasma membrane around a cell is thin. And not just kind of thin. Not just even really thin. Like "thin" doesn't do it justice here. One would have to stack 8,000 - yes 8,000! - plasma membranes on top of each other to match the thickness of one page of my book. Craziness!

My brain can't even really compute things that small. It's like, how on earth can something be that small or that thin!? God's creation is incredible. So thankful for all the amazing things He's created!

No comments:

Post a Comment